Eating healthy foods is recommended advice that is good for your health and it’s easier than you may think. By just altering a few eating habits, you can make a whole lot of difference to your diet. Making small changes to your diet is the easiest and healthiest way to cut down weight. The first step is to eat less foods that are high in calories, fat, salt and sugars and replace them with something healthier like more fruit and vegetables. It worth noting that little changes can add up to a huge overall difference to your diet.
Food and drink swap
Try these little changes when you have your next meal or drink, or when you are looking for a snack. Once you have taken off, try to come up with your own ideas of healthy swaps too.
- Change from whole milk to semi skimmed, 1% fat or even skimmed milk.
- Change sugary breakfast cereal for a whole grain breakfast cereal such as porridge or shredded whole grain wheat cereal without any added sugar.
- A topping of fresh or dried fruit instead of sugar sprinkle on your breakfast cereal.
- Change full-fat Greek yoghurt for lower-fat or fat-free Greek yoghurt, a natural low-fat yoghurt would do also.
- Change white breads, bagels and muffins for whole grain types
- Change butter and cheese for reduced fat content and less salt and sugar baked beans.
- Change a tuna melt Panini for a tuna salad sandwich whole meal bread without mayo
- Change a cheddar cheese filling in your sandwich for low-fat hard cheese.
- Change creamy or cheesy sauces for tomato-or vegetable-based sauces on your pasta, meat or fish dishes.
- Change mashed potato made with butter and whole milk for mash with reduced fat content and less fat milk like semi skimmed,1% fat or skimmed.
- Choose smaller amounts of meat: for instance, change streaky bacon for back bacon.
- Change frying pan for the grill when cooking meat.